TMJ Can Be Difficult to Spot
Many TMJ symptoms are difficult to spot in their early stages. The temporomandibular joint is a finely tuned mechanism designed to provide for the full range of jaw movement—up and down, side to side, and back and forth. The temporomandibular joint can become misaligned by even the smallest change in the structure of your mouth.
If you are suffering from these or any other TMJ symptoms you might think are due to misalignment of your temporomandibular joint, you owe it to yourself to see Dr. George as soon as possible:
- Clicking and popping of the jaw
- Inability to fully open your mouth
- Soreness and pain around the jaw and cheeks
- Unexplained headaches, neck aches, and migraines
- Misalignment of your bite
- Excessive tooth wear
- Bruxism, or tooth grinding, particularly during sleep
- Difficulty chewing
- Frequently biting your tongue or the inside of your cheek
- Tinnitus(ringing in the ears)
- Ear Pain
- Sore Teeth
Any of these symptoms might indicate the beginnings of Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction, a condition that can cause pain, loss of function, tooth loss, and other serious problems.
Patients who suffer from TMJ / TMD, however, can often halt the progress of their condition and even reverse its effects with proper treatment. Particularly when caught early, TMJ / TMD can be treated simply and effectively by realigning the bite with a variety of dentistry techniques. The earlier your symptoms are diagnosed and treated, the simpler and more effective the treatment will be.
Learn more about the available treatments for TMJ/TMD.